Beginning in approximately 1680, the site was used as a ferry service between Portsmouth and Bristol. By the mid-1800s a ferry house had been constructed, and a stable appeared to be present in 1900. In 1929, the ferry service ended with the completion of the Mt. Hope Bridge. Around 1950, the Marina House Restaurant opened in the original ferry building. In circa 1940, the pump-house (still standing today) on the property was built and the garage (also still standing today) was built circa 1950. In 1983, the Marina House Restaurant closed, and the original ferry house burned down and was razed in 1985. The cement pads of the buildings remain on site. Although briefly used as a staging area for repairs to the Mt. Hope Bridge in the 2000’s, the site remains vacant.